Hospital Tour – Kids Unit of Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre
|Dr. Gaurav Kakkar
|Pediatric Ophthalmology, Squint & Cataract
|Monday to Saturday
|9:00 AM TO 5:00 PM
|Dr. Priya Goyal
|Pediatric Ophthalmology, Squint
|Monday to Saturday
|9:00 AM TO 5:00 PM
Children are not miniature adults. Their eyes, visual needs, and disorders are entirely different than from those of adults. Since they are rapidly growing, and are yet to develop a fully mature eye-brain coordination, disorders of vision in children require special attention and focus.
This is why pediatric ophthalmology has evolved as a specialized discipline, and indeed it is a subspecialty in ophthalmology and helps to cure eye problems in kids.
A pediatric ophthalmologist is responsible for taking care of the visual attention needs of the children, and ensuring a proper visual development regarding both function and structure (including cosmesis).
Why do we need a pediatric ophthalmologist?
Before searching for a “pediatric ophthalmologist near me” online, one must understand the need for an eye doctor specially for kids and what can be the benefits of consulting such a specialist.
Just as a particular doctor is required for your child’s general health, even the eyes of a child need specialist care of a pediatric ophthalmologist.
It is because children’s eyes are completely different from that of the adults and they keep maturing at different ages.
Following are the ways in which the eye problems in children are different:
- The brain-eye connections are not fully made, so any deprivation of vision in early childhood, if it remains uncorrected, can result in lazy eye or amblyopia in children. This means that the visual potential of the child becomes limited, and even proper corrective glasses cannot help them later.
- The congenital anomalies or disorders of development show up in the early years of life. These can range for refractive errors which merely require corrective glasses, to squint or misalignment of eyes, congenital nasolacrimal duct block, ptosis or lid droop and even cataract and glaucoma in kids. If not corrected by a pediatric ophthalmologist in Delhi, at an early stage, they may result in permanent eye problems in children.
- Infants who are born premature, of low birth weight or who have a prolonged tumultuous stay in the newborn nursery, are at risk for a disease called Retinopathy of Prematurity (RoP). RoP is potentially vision threatening and must be screened for, as soon as possible.
- In the case of malnutrition, children are susceptible to Vitamin A deficiency, and its associated eye problems including dry eye, corneal ulcers, and even blindness. Fussy and choosy eaters may also sometimes be deficient in some micronutrients despite being healthy and well fed otherwise.
- Children, because of their active lifestyle and playing outdoors, are more prone to eye allergies which may cause various types of irritations.
- TV and mobile phone viewing, increased screen time and video games have given rise to a particular set of concerns in this age group and hence it becomes imperative to have a regular checkup by a pediatric ophthalmologist.
- There is also a set of eye tumours and malignancies that are typical of infancy and childhood like retinoblastoma.
What are the symptoms and signs of eye problems in children?
There are various symptoms that a child may show and should be clearly reported to pediatric ophthalmologists so that the eye problem can be identified and an accurate and quick resolution can be provided in such cases. Below is a list of such common symptoms:
- Reading disability and problem in school while copying what is written on the board could be an indication of poor vision
- Any squint or misalignment of the eyes in children
- Any frequent headaches, eye rubbing, red eye, recurrent eye infections and water from eyes
- Any family history of eye disorders including the need for glasses (refractive errors), can be passed from one generation to another and must be evaluated early on in life. The frequency and schedule of an eye examination in children are mentioned here.
Read more about Pediatric Ophthalmology: Squint, Lazy Eye and Recommended Eye Tests for children.
Which is the best hospital for children eye care?
For your child’s eye care, Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre is the best eye hospital for children and has some of the top pediatric ophthalmologists in Delhi, who understand the importance of healthy eyes and good eye sight for the overall development of a child.
They are not only exemplary in their professionalism and training, but also in their ability to make friends with your child, and ensure that the children look forward to a visit to the eye doctor as and when they need it.
The environment in the pediatric ophthalmology department at Eye7 is always relaxed and friendly, and the staff is always eager to play with the children to comfort them, ensuring trouble-free and hassle-free eye checkup for your precious little ones.
This, of course, comes with the Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre’s promise of professional integrity, and state of the art technology, at affordable cost for all, and that too, at a center near you.
Special Eye Tests and Services for Children at Eye7
The pediatric ophthalmologists and the ancillary team at Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre are fully aware that children require special nurturing and care to thrive, and achieve their full potential.
Our team of eye care professionals is happy to partner with you in your efforts to ensure the best eye care for your child.
Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre offers state-of-the-art technology in child vision care, with the empathy and compassion that is a hallmark of the patient care.
The special services and eye tests for children, in addition to primary eye care, include:
- Vision assessment and refraction under dilation
- Squint assessment and evaluation of binocular vision
- Amblyopia therapy
- Synaptophore assisted eye exercises for children to stimulate the eye muscles and binocular vision of the kids.
- Management of all the types of childhood infections and allergies
- Trauma services due to various mis-happenings
- Examination under sedation or anaesthesia, if indicated
- Comprehensive pre-anesthetic check-up and post-operative care
- Glasses and low vision aids
- Surgical and medical management of childhood and congenital disorders, as indicated: congenital cataract, congenital ptosis, glaucoma and squint.
Surgeries Performed by Pediatric Ophthalmologists at Eye7
The surgeries performed routinely by the a pediatric ophthalmologist eye surgeons at Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centres include:
- Phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation with and without posterior capsulorhexis and vitrectomy
- Intraocular lasers for RoP
- Ptosis surgeries including sling surgery and other lid reconstructions
- Complex and straightforward squint surgeries including recti and oblique muscles, syringing and probing, dacryocystorhinostomy, trabeculectomy with MMC and Ahmed Glaucoma Valve implantation, as well as complex vitreoretinal surgeries and retinal lasers.
Pediatric Ophthalmologists and Surgeons at Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centres Delhi
We are also one of the best centers for corneal transplants in children, as well as routine surgeries like chalazion incision and curettage, etc.
Special facilities for counseling, support and visual rehabilitation are available for those who require them.
Eye7 Chaudhary Eye Centre also collaborates with various government and non-government agencies in providing support to the parents and care-givers, as well as the little children who need help.