It is an allergic reaction on the surface of the eyes. It is a prevalent condition that occurs when any allergy-causing substances come into contact with your eyes.
The allergic reaction sets in following contact of allergen with the ocular surface.
How to recognize allergic red eye?
- Usually, both the eyes are affected
- The eyes are itchy, and the white of the eye looks red or pink
- The feeling of burning sensation
- The tendency to rub the eyes frequently
- Watering of eyes
- Swelling of eyelids
- The best treatment for allergic conjunctivitis is to avoid contact with the allergy-causing substance
- If you use contact lens, do not wear lenses until the symptoms have gone
- Do not rub your eyes as it increases the inflammation
- Antihistaminic eye drops and mast cell stabilizer eye drops to keep symptoms at bay