Posted on January 16, 2018
Cataract is caused by the clouding of the natural lens of the eye. Cataracts usually develop as a result of old age, but may occur in infants and young children too. This results in blurred vision, glare and sensitivity to bright lights. As the disease progresses, it leads to painless, progressive decrease in vision. This can result in a poor quality of life, interfering with day-to-day activities like driving and reading.
In the earlier stages of the disease, cataracts are managed by spectacles. However, as the disease progresses, or if the central vision deteriorates, the only option for management of cataract is surgery. Cataract surgery in Delhi entails sucking out the natural lens after emulsifying it inside the eye by a process known as phacoemulsification. After this, a customized, artificial intraocular lens (called IOL) is placed in its position which restores natural, normal vision
Who Is At Risk of Cataract?
- Age more than 60-65 years old
- Prolonged use of steroids
- Overexposure to ultraviolet rays
- Eye injuries
How Do I Know if I Need Cataract Surgery?
After a thorough and comprehensive eye evaluation, you eye doctor will discuss with you the diagnosis of cataract, your best corrected visual acuity. That is, your vision with glasses. He will also help you judge for yourself, with trial lenses, if you are comfortable with this vision with glasses in your day to day life. If not, in the absence of any eye disease that may affect your vision, your eye surgeon will discuss with you the possibility of cataract surgery, and its available techniques.
Latest Surgical Techniques for Cataract Management:
The latest surgical techniques for cataract management that you can choose from include:
- Microincision cataract surgery: In conventional phacoemulsification and Microincision cataract surgery, a capsulotomy, is performed manually using forceps or a bent needle. It is through this opening that the ultrasound emulsifies the natural lens of the eye, before it is sucked out of the eye using a vacuum. When performed manually, this capsulotomy is not perfectly circular and in some cases, the capsulotomy may “run” to one side, resulting in a tear of the capsular bag. This means that the IOL implanted may not as stable as it should be.
- Robotic or Femto Cataract Surgery: To circumvent this error, femtosecond laser cataract surgery was developed, which uses a laser beam to create this capsulotomy, eliminating the chances of human error and possible complications. This technique, automates the capsulotomy process, but, it also adds a considerable cost, and time to the duration of surgery. The advantages of this include: Excellent visual outcome, 100 % Blade free, painless and stichless surgery, precise self-sealing corneal incisions.
- Zepto cataract or Zepto Capsulotomy Device for cataract surgery: “Zepto Capsulotomy Device for cataract surgery” is significantly cheaper than femtosecond cataract surgery, and uses a handheld disposable device to create a precise and strong capsulotomy. This results in fewer logistical challenges and reduces overall surgical time in comparison to Femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgery. Also Femtosecond laser cannot be used in patients with corneal opacities or small pupils, while the Zepto capsulotomy device can be. The device also makes the surgery safer and more predictable, and can especially be useful in more complex surgeries.
Best Eye Hospital in Delhi for Cataract Surgery
In case you experience any visual symptoms like decrease in vision, blurring, or glare, you should wear your ophthalmologist to ascertain why. The Eye7 hospitals, are located in different parts of the National Capital Region of Delhi, and offer state of the art technology along with the best cataract surgeons and eye care professionals in Delhi. The Eye7 hospitals are considered one of the best cataract hospitals in Delhi NCR, with the most advanced technologies available for your eye care. All of three advanced techniques of painless, stitch-less and bladeless cataract surgery with IOL implantation are available at all the four centers of excellence, powered by the most proficient and skilled team of eye care professionals.
So in case you have been diagnosed with cataract, or are apprehensive that you may have cataract, do not worry. Help is at hand at one of the most technologically advanced centers in the country for cataract surgery.